Midterm Evaluation of The Livelihoods Empowerment and Development (LEAD) Project
Name of Client:
Traidcraft Exchange, Bangladesh Country Office
Big Lottery Fund (BL)
Duration of assignment (months):
Start date (month/year):
Completion date (month/year):
Location within country:
Total No. of staff-months of the assignment:
Locations within country: Boane, Marracuene and Namaacha districts of Maputo province
Narrative description of Project:
The Livelihoods Empowerment and Development (LEAD) is a BHP Billiton Sustainable Communities (BSC) funded project which is being implemented by ACDI/VOCA. This is a five-year initiative (2013-2018) that seeks to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers in Boane, Marracuene and Namaacha districts in Mozambique. The main goal of the project is to improve levels of income and wellbeing among smallholder farmers. The project has three components: (i) strengthening producer organizations (ii) improving production capacity of smallholder farmers and (iii) strengthening market linkages.
During the midway phase of the project ACDI/VOCA commissioned Innovision Consulting to carry out a Mid Term evaluation in order to find out needs of mid-course corrections in program strategy and to address the implementation issues that are circumventing effective implementation. The objectives of the assessments included:
- To provide an independent examination of the overall progress and achievements of LEAD project activities in the three existing project districts – Boane, Marracuene and Namaacha in Mozambique
- To identify key achievements, performance, constraints related to project implementation and effectiveness of the project
- To identify how the project capitalized on existing synergies/collaboration with other programs
- To identify results and lessons learned since the project inception
- To provide concise, actionable recommendations to determine which activities to scale up/down, modify or redesign to improve the overall performance of the LEAD project.
Description of actual services provided by your staff within the assignment:
The evaluation was carried out using both quantitative and qualitative approaches. Under the quanitative approach, the survey was conducted on 167 producers. Final samples, the beneficiaries were selected randomly from required thirteen Partner Organizations (POs). The data was collected through Paper and Pencil Interview (PEPI) method. A semi-structured questionnaire was used and the questionnaire was tested before final fieldwork. This questionnaire was divided into five sections – i) Demographic information, ii) Quality of life index, iii) Expenditure of small farmers, iv) Gross margin per unit of land and v) Financial access. Under the qualitative survey, seven FGDs of project beneficiaries were conducted and six KIIs were conducted with different stakeholders. The Key Informants were two LEAD project officials and representative of CAVA, CAIXA, PATH and Tilewene.
Innovision prepared a report for the client answering some key questions with the findin from the assessment and providing some recommendations on activities that could be scaled up or removed and on to improve overall performance of the project.